Music- quality vs. quantity


In an age of mass produced music for the musically clueless population there is definitely a lack of quality music. When we think of pop music today, names such as Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and Niki Minaj come to mind. Oh and what the hell is up with Taylor Swift? Is it the ugly hair or the weird cat eyes that attracts people to her, because I know her music sucks so it can't be that. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be mean here, it's just my opinion and I would rather be blunt about it than sugar coating it. I live in Canada, sugar coating is a national sport here, along with shopping and eating....so I am drowning in sugar by this stage....And below, moving on from my rant .
Quality music is a rare and wonderful surprise when you finally get the chance to discover it and it should be cherished like a prized possession for as long as possible. Sometimes, well actually all the time, when I come across music that I love I will keep on listening to it over and over again for two or three days straight and naturally I will get tired of it (obviously if it's a song like Sylvia by Miike Snow or Electric Feel by MGMT then one can never get tired of it - only a two or three day pause will be required after a binge). I am trying very hard to stop myself from doing so because it kills the whole music experience for me and the pleasure that was gained by the discovery of such a gem is short lived and therefore ineffective.  I wanted to share with you a few names of artists that I find to be worth your time and will not make you throw up in a few days of listening to it making you never come back to it. So here goes:

Miike Snow

Little Dragon

Lana Del Rey

Adele

Florence and The Machine

Hope you enjoy.

Image by Man Ray

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much!!! That' so nice to hear!!!! So nice to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete